Directions for these are all over- called tipsy planters. Basically you drive a piece of rebar into the ground and stack the pots by threading through the drain hole and along the side of the pot. One thing I discovered is that the pots must be the same shape as each other and really should be the same size. I kept the larger one on the bottom because I was too dang lazy to take it all off and do it over. I miked the water saving crystals into the potting soil to keep the pots from drying out too rapidly. Sealing the pots would also help, but I didn’t think of it in time. I don’t think plastic pots would work because they don’t have enough structural integrity. I put herbs in, but I think petunias would have been a good choice as well.